Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Origin and True Meaning of Home


Lord Byron’s quote from Don Juan about without hearts a home not being real is actually rooted in the very fabric of the word “home.” The concept of home is universal, however, we all define home differently. There might be some similarities, but home means something different to each of us.
I wanted to uncover what was the root meaning of home from an etymology perspective. Turns out this idea of hearts and home being connected is a foundation in the history of the word “home.”
The English word “home” is from the Old English word hām (not the pig) which actually refers to a village or estate where many “souls” are gathered. It implies there’s a physical dwelling involved, but the main idea is that it’s a gathering of people. One dictionary I came across online had an interpretation of the modern definition of home that I really like. It states that home is “the abiding place of the affections.” To me, that sums it up like nothing else. It’s not a building or a room, but a place where your love dwells.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the
eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.

Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Superb
work!

Feel free to visit my weblog; favorite training video help

Kumar Chary said...

I'm glad to find this wonderful article its all about "home".According to me home is starting point of success.

Regards

http://www.guptarealty.com/